The cyclist of the Liquigas-Cannondale team, Ivan Basso became the winner of the Giro di Padania race. Marek Rutkiewicz (CCC Polsat Polkowice), representing Poland, completed the race in the high 9th place.
In the finished on Saturday 10 September race of Giro di Padania, cat. 2.1 UCI, the National Team of Poland took part in which there were two cyclists of CCC Polsat Polkowice: Marek Rutkiewicz and Tomasz Marczyński, as well as: Piotr Gawroński, Grzegorz Haba, Łukasz Wiśniewski, Grzegorz Stępniak, Kamil Gradek and Paweł Bernaś.
At the starting line of the five-stage race there were, among others, the leading Italian cyclists from almost all professional teams, and representatives of Australia, Slovenia and Poland. The peloton set off, and in it almost 200 cyclists.
The race turned out to be very good for Polish cyclists. As early as in the first stage the young cyclist Paweł Bernaś rode very actively, winning the jersey of the most active cyclist, in which he rode two stages. In the next stages Kamil Gradek and Grzegorz Stępniak got involved in breakaways. However, Marek Rutkiewicz, may boast the biggest success, riding very actively for the whole race and taking high places in the general classification. During the fourth stage, which ended at the hill in Avio a San Valentino di Brentonico, Rutkiewicz came to the finishing line in the 9th place, and with such a ranking he completed the race.
Tomasz Marczyński finished the race in the 32nd place.
The final general classification:
1. Ivan Bass (Ita) Liquigas – Connondale 22:13:28
2. Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Farnese – Vini 0:52
3. Francesco Masciarelli (Ita) Pro Team Astana 1:08
4. Fortunato Baliani (Ita) D’Angelo & Antenucci – Nippo 1:17
5. Davide Rebellin (Ita) Miche – Guerciotti 1:24
6. Emanuele Sella (Ita) Androni Giocattoli C.I.P.I 1:32
7. Simone Stortoni (Ita) Colnago – Csf Inox 2:34
8. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago – Csf Inox 2:53
9. Marek Rutkiewicz (Pol) Poland 2:57
10. Riccardo Chiarini (Ita) Androni Giocattoli C.I.P.I 3:08
32. Tomasz Marczyński 10:02
113. Paweł Bernaś 33:38
131. Łukasz Wiśniowski 40:19
136. Piotr Gawroński 41:19
137. Kamil Gradek 41:24
144. Grzegorz Stępniak 44:49