Cavendish the world champion, Marek Rutkiewicz 28th.

Mark Cavendish (Great Britain) became the world champion of men’s elite in Copenhagen. The best of the Poles was Marek Rutkiewicz. The CCC Polsat Polkowice cyclist found himself in the 28th position.

The best riders of the world were competing on the 266 kilometres long route. The cyclists had totally 17 hilly laps to ride, around the centre of Copenhagen, precisely speaking in Rudersdal.

Right after the start a group formed at the head: Pablo Lastras (Spain), Christian Poos (Luxembourgh), Anthony Roux (France), Maxim Iglinskiy (Kazakhstan), Oleg Chuzhda (Ukraine), Robert Kiserlovski (Croatia) and Tanel Kangert (Estonia). The leading group rode boldly, with an advantage of about 6 minutes over the peloton. In the peloton the pace was dictated by the teams from Germany and Great Britain.
At the end of the ninth the Belgian Johan Van Summeren jumped out of the peloton, soon joined by his compatriot Oliver Kaiser, Yoann Offredo (France), Luca Paolini (Italy) and Simon Clarke (Australia). The pace started to increase, and the team of Great Britain got down to hard work. In the 12th lap at the back of the group there was a big crash, which split the group in two. At the back last year’s triumpher, the Norwegian cyclist Thor Hushovd stayed behind together with the three Poles: Michał Gołaś (Vacansoleil-DCM), Bartosz Huzarski (NetApp) and Maciej Bodnar (Liquigas-Cannondale).

In the 13th round the two leading groups united. Attacks happened again at the back. In one of them there was Marek Rutkiewicz. The mountains champion of Poland, however, got caught up with after several kilometres. When the peloton had the leading group in view the French cyclist Roux decided to attack. The brave ‘three-coloured’ was caught about 20 km before the end.
Then a counter-attack took place, in which there were: Thomas Voeckler (France), Niki Soresen (Denmark) and Klaas Lodewyck (Belgium). A moment later the Dutch cyclist Johny Hoogerland joined them. However, the insane pace of the British cyclists did not allow any action to succeed.

The final kilometres were a fight for the best possible position before the finish. The Australians, Italians and Germans tried to slow the British cyclists. Also Rutkiewicz, Michał Kwiatkowski (RadioShack) and Maciej Paterski (Liquigas-Cannondale) were visible.

Cavendish’s train fell apart on the last bend, about 800 metres before the line. The cyclist from the Isle of Man, however, kept a cool head and hid behind the backs of the Australians and the Spaniard Oscar Freire. About 200m before the end he was off like a shot riding on the right, reaching confidently for the first road cycling rainbow jersey in his career. The second cyclist was his club mate from HTC-Highroad, the Australian Matthew Goss. The bronze, after the careful study of the photo finish, was won by the German Andre Greipel. The fourth place, right behind the podium, went to Fabian Cancellara from Switzerland.

Marek Rutkiewicz rode best out of the Polish cyclists, taking the 28th place. The youngest of Wadecki’s national squad members, Michał Kwiatkowski, arrived in the 31st place, and Maciej Paterski was the 38th. The other three of our representatives, who remained in the second part of the peloton, were over 8 minutes behind the winner. Gołaś was 151st, Bodnar 155th and Huzarski 156th.