This year’s road cycling championships of Poland were the championships of Tomasz Marczyński. First the cyclist of the CCC Polsat Polkowice team unexpectedly won the Złotoryja time trial, and on Sunday at the Market Square he was quicker than his team mate Tomasz Smoleń and Maciej Paterski (Liquigas-Cannondale).
– The doublet has been shot. The last cyclist who reached for gold in time trial as well as in the massed start race within year was your present sports manager Piotr Wadecki (2000). You can see by the smile on your face, that the joy never ends.
– There’s no denying, I feel great. I am very happy. It is amazing, to win both championship races in one year. I am having one of the best times I have ever had.
– What feeling did you get up today in the morning with? After the time trial almost everybody considered you one of the favourites.
– I knew that I was in a really good form. I won even a time trial which is not my strongest field. Well, at least, it seemed not to be so far… I realized that if the massed start race went as I wanted, I could win today. And so it happened. It is really great.
– In your account there are in total four medals of Championships of Poland. Are you going to add more during the next one?
– At the moment I am not thinking about the next year’s Championships of Poland. I am concentrated on this season.
– And in this season your are going to appear at …
– In several days I am starting in the Race of Solidarity and Olympics, and later I will have several less busy days. In the middle of July I will take part in two classic races in Italy, and then in Tour de Pologne, too.
source: s24.pl, interview by wb