Jacek Morajko from the team of Mróz ActiveJet won in Kielce the title of the Champion of Poland in road cycling of the Elite in a massed start race, outstripping his team-mate Mariusz Witecki and Maciej Bodnar (Liquigas-Doimo) at the finishing line. The cyclists of Mróz crossed the finishing line at the airport in Masłów together, with their hands raised in triumph.
The most unlucky cyclist of the race was Dariusz Batek from CCC Polsat Polkowice, who could not join the fight for the medal of the championship because of a defect of his bike. He arrived at the finishing line as the fourth.
In their fight for the medal of the Poland championship the cyclists had 215 km to cover (12 rounds, 17.1 km each) around Masłów. From the very beginning of the competition, when the peloton entered the first round a breakaway group formed out of the following cyclists: Dariusz Batek, Bartłomiej Matysiak (obaj CCC Polsat Polkowice), Jakub Komar (Legia Felt), Marcin Wolski (Romet Weltour Dębica), Piotr Osiński (Mróz ActiveJet) and Maciej Paterski (Liquigas-Doimo).
In the third round a counterattack went out of the peloton, initiated by Jarosław Marycz (Saxo Bank) and together with him the following cyclists tried to catch up with the leading group: Łukasz Bodnar (CCC Polsat Polkowice), Dariusz Rudnicki (Aktio Group Mostostal Puławy), Paweł Cieślik (Mróz ActiveJet), Tomasz Janowski (Dobre Sklepy Rowerowe).
In the next round the groups joined into one and a leading group of 8 cyclists emerged: Bartłomiej Matysiak, Dariusz Batek, Łukasz Bodnar (CCC Polsat Polkowice), Piotr Osiński (Mróz), Jakub Komar (Legia), Marcin Wolski (Weltour), Maciej Paterski (Liquigas) and Jarosław Marycz (Saxo Bank). In pursuit of the escape group the following went: Mateusz Taciak, Jacek Morajko, Bartosz Huzarski and another cyclist of Mróz – Paweł Cieślik.
During the subsequent rounds the situation changed dramatically. As a result of numerous attacks there were 6 cyclists in the lead on the ninth lap. The escaping almost from the very beginning of the race cyclists of CCC Polsat Polkowice Dariusz Batek and Bartłomiej Matysiak, were joined by Maciej Bodnar (Liquigas) and the Mróz ActivJet cyclists: Mariusz Witecki, Jacek Morajko and Piotr Osiński. When the cyclists entered the last lap the very tired Bartek Matysiak (CCC Polsat Polkowice) dropped out of the leading group and Piotr Osiński (Mróz ActiveJet) followed him. Right before the last climb in Masłów Maciej Bodnar fell behind. Mariusz Witecki attacked, followed by Dariusz Batek and they both gained a little advantage over Jacek Morajko. Just when it seemed that the break-away of those two cyclists can end up with a success the gears in Dariusz Batek’s bike got blocked. In spite of the mechanics’ quick intervention and the replacement of the bike, Batek stayed behind, Morajko managed to catch up with Witecki and they both reached the finishing line working together harmoniously.
In a sprinters duel for the bronze medal Macier Bodnar proved to be better than Dariusz Batek, winning his second medal during this championship.
The results of the Poland Championship in a massed start race of the Elite:
1. MORAJKO Jacek (Mroz ActiveJet) 5 26 14
2. WITECKI Mariusz (Mroz ActiveJet)
3. BODNAR Maciej (Liquigas Doimo) 01 06
4. BATEK Dariusz (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 01 06
5. OSIŃSKI Piotr (Mroz ActiveJet) 01 29
6. MARYCZ Jarosław (Team Saxo Bank) 02 44
7. WADECKI Adam (Aktio Group Mostostal Puławy) 02 44
8. TACIAK Mateusz (Mroz ActiveJet) 02 44
9. GOŁAŚ Michał (Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team) 02 44
10. HUZARSKI Bartosz (ISD Neri) 02 44
12. MARCZYŃSKI Tomasz (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 02 44
13. HONKISZ Adrian (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 02 44
15. MATYSIAK Bartłomiej (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 02 45
26. JEŻOWSKI Krzysztof (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26
33. BODNAR Łukasz (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26
38. ZIELIŃSKI Kamil (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26
39. LISOWICZ Tomasz (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26
40. DOROŻAŁA Aleksander (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26
42. RĘBIEWSKI Jarosław (CCC Polsat Polkowice) 11 26