Łukasz Owsian claimed 5th place on stage 1 of Szlakiem Bursztynowym – Hellena Tour, held around the town of Warta. He arrived 1:17 behind the winner, Andrij Wasyljuk (Kolss-BDC).
The opening stage was filled with attacks. The leading riders would change at the front constantly and due to strong crosswind the peloton was shredding. After halway point a 9-man group with Łukasz Owsian established a lead. Later on 4 other riders joined them.
25km from the line two Kolss-BDC riders pulled away – Andrij Wasyljuk and Sergij Lagkuti. The latter was one of those who managed to bridge the gap from the bunch. The Ukrainian duo survived in the front and took the win – Wasyljuk was first and Lagkuti second. Jiri Hochmann (Dukla Praga) was the fastest from Łukasz Owsian’s group and finished third.
Outside of Owsian, one more CCC Sprandi Polkowice rider made the top “15”. Grzegorz Stępniak claimed 14th, by being the second fastest sprinter from the peloton, which came in almost 2 minutes behind the winner.
Two stages will be held on Saturday – morning individual time trial (14km) and the road race from Kalisz to Kazimierz Biskupi (144 km) in the afternoon.
Results of stage 1 of Szlakiem Bursztynowym – Hellena Tour, Warta – Warta 153 km
1. Andrij Wasyljuk (Kolss-BDC)
2. Sergij Lagkuti (Kolss-BDC)
3. Jiri Hochmann (Dukla Praga)
5. Łukasz Owsian (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 1:17
14. Grzegorz Stępniak (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 1:59
16. Eryk Latoń (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
35. Kamil Małecki (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
41. Tomasz Kiendyś (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
60. Jakub Kaczmarek (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
61. Mateusz Taciak (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
73. Leszek Pluciński (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
74. Piotr Brożyna (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)