Jan Tratnik was born in the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana, but today he lives in small Idrija, in the western part of the country. The town surrounded by beautiful nature, has the population of just 7000 people.
26-year old rider is a man of multiple interests. Among his hobbies is cooking, animals (parrots especially) and other sports. He played basketball for 9 years , but due to his height he decided to stop. He also likes football, volleyball, rock climbing, running. His nickname is Syuk. He got it because of his older brother, who was the first one to receive it.
Tratnik took up cycling quite late, when he was 17 years old. He was discovered by one of the top Slovenian cyclists, Borut Bozic. He was his neighbor and they would sometimes go for MTB rides. When he noticed that I he doesn’t get dropped he advised him to consider cycling as something he should concentrate on. Tratnik fell in love with the sport right away. – I decided to go with cycling, because I felt so comfortable and free on a bike. I could spend a lot of time outside, see beautiful places. The moment I started riding, I knew that cycling should be my path – he says.
He claimed his first victory early, as an 18-year old (2nd year as a junior), winning Italian race Coppa Montes. 4 years later he became the European champion, which at the time was his biggest success in his career. He is also proud of his Slovenian championship titles in elite road race (2016) and time trial (2015). In 2017, his best season yet, he added to his palmares overall victory in Tour of Slovakia, 9th and 11th place in Giro d’Italia time trials, as well as 10th in world championships in ITT.
His cycling dreams include winning one of the biggest classics, such as Amstel Gold Race or Liege Bastogne Liege.
He is at his best in individual time trials and races with short, but steep climbs, which end with a sprint from a small group.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Favorite quote or saying: Never stop trying
Favorite food: Pasta
Favorite place on earth: Greece
Favorite movie or TV series: “The Green Mile”, “Friends”
Training on rollers or in the rain: in the rain
Hobbies outside of cycling: cooking, spending free time with my girlfriend
Languages: Slovenian, Italian, English
- 1.Tour of Slovakia – general, points classification
- 1.Tour of Slovakia – prologue
- 2.Czech Cycling Tour – stage 2
- 2.Tour of Slovakia – stage 2
- 3.Tour of Slovakia – stage 3
- 3.Czech Cycling Tour – general classification
- 4.National Championships Slovenia - Road Race
- 8.Volta ao Alentejo – general classification
- 9.Giro d’Italia – stage 21
- 10.World Championships – ITT
- 11.Giro d’Italia – stage 10
- 12.Volta Limburg Classic
- 1.Slovenia Championships - RR
- 1.East Bohemia Tour - points, general classification
- 1.East Bohemia Tour - stage 1
- 1.Tour de Slovénie - mountains classification
- 1.Tour de Slovaquie - stage 5
- 1.Istarsko proljece - Istrian Spring Trophy - points classification
- 2.Porec Trophy - Trofej Porec
- 3.Rad am Ring
- 1.East Bohemia Tour - general classification
- 1.Slovenia Championships - ITT
- 1.Tour de Hongrie - stage 5, points classification
- 1.Tour of Austria - points classifcation
- 1.East Bohemia Tour - stage 2
- 4.Slovenia Championships - RR
- 3.Central European Tour Isaszeg-Budapest
- 4.Central-European Tour Szerencs-Ibrany
- 3.Istarsko proljece - Istrian Spring Trophy - etap 3
- 1.European Championships
- 2.Slovenia Championships - ITT
- 3.Toscana-Terra di ciclismo - etap 1
- 4.Ronde van Vlaanderen Espoirs