Two years ago in Dolsk Wielkopolski Tomasz Smoleń (CCC Polsat Polkowice) stood on the podium of the championships of Poland. Then he lost in the finish only against Krzysztof Jeżowski – his team-mate then. On Sunday in Złotoryja Smoleń did that again. This time he was overtaken by Tomasz Marczyński… also his team-mate.
– That has been your second silver medal in the massed start in your career. What are your impressions after the race?
– They are good. The Złotoryja loop clearly suits me well. When the Championships of Poland were held here three years ago I took the fifth place. I am slowly moving towards the first place. Perhaps in a few years’ time I will be allowed to put on the white-and-red jersey.
– You entered today’s race with a line-up of sixteen cyclists. Some even laughed that half of the peloton are riding in orange jerseys. What were the tactical assumptions before the start?
– I cared about the victory the most. Another result was out of the question. The rivals were vigilant and strong, too. They knew that we were going to try to dominate, the more so because we outnumbered them. The break-away in which Jacek Morajko participated suited us well. ‘Moraj’ likes such routes with lower uphill stretches. It’s a pity that he was not successful in defending the title. But at the same time we are glad that two medals are in our team.
– Who were you most careful about?
– Our friends from abroad. Maciej Bodnar, Maciej Paterski and Jarosław Marycz. They all represent a very high level. Also Robert Radosz was strong, recently in a good form, and all of his team of BDC.
source: s24.pl, interview by wb