Today, on 20 June (Wednesday), the start of riders of the junior category in an individual time trial the Championships of Poland in road cycling began.
During five days of competing on the roads around Jędrzejów and Sędziszów we are going to get to know the riders who will win the title of the Champion of Poland and who will put on jerseys with the eagle on the chest.
The Championships of Poland in road cycling are held in all age categories: Junior, U-23, Elite ( women and men) as well as in the category of blind riders and visually impaired riders.
Individual time trials are going to be held on routes along Jędrzejów, whereas the massed start race on laps around Sędziszów. All the races will be held on the same routes for everybody and only the distance will vary according to the age category.
In the U-23 category the route of the individual time trial is 38 km (4 X 9.5 km). In the Elite category women are going to ride 25 km (2 X 12.5 km), while men – 50 km (4 X 12.5 km).
The most important races of the championships are the competitions of the Elite riders (women and men) during the massed start races. This year the Elite men are going to struggle for the title of the Champion of Poland on a route of 246 kilometres, leading in a relatively flat area, in laps around Sędziszów. The massed start race of Elite will take place on Sunday at the end of the Championships of Poland.
The day before (on Saturday) U-23 riders and Elite women are going to fight for the jersey with the eagle and the title of the Champion of Poland 2012, along a route of 164 km, and women are going to ride a distance of 132 kilometres.
The team of CCC Polsat Polkowice is going to enter the competition for the title of the Champion of Poland in a nearly complete line-up, except for Paweł Charucki, who had a fall during the Memorial of Grundman and Wizowski and suffered an injury of the right hand. The only foreign rider in the team, the Bulgarian Nikolay Mihaylov, will be defending the title of the champion of the country in individual time trial.
In the individual time trial of the U-23 category the following will take part: Piotr Gawroński and Łukasz Owsian, while in the Elite category: Dariusz Batek, Tomasz Kiendyś, Marek Rutkiewicz and Mateusz Taciak.
In the massed start race the team will appear in their complete line-up, including the U-23 riders.
THE PROGRAMME OF THE CHAMPIONSHIPS OF POLAND
– individual time trial junior women; the distance of 16 km (2×8 km)
– individual time trial junior men; the distance of 25 km (2×12.5 km)
– individual time trial blind and visually impaired riders; the distance of 25 km (2×12.5 km)
– individual time trial elite women; the distance of 25 km (2×12.5 km)
– individual time trial U-23; the distance of 38 km (4×9.5 km)
– individual time trial elite men; the distance of 50 km (4×12.5 km)
– massed start race junior women; the distance of 55.8km ( 3x 18.6 km)
– massed start race blind and visually impaired riders; the distance of 74.4 km (4×18.6 km)
– massed start race junior men; the distance of 130.2 km (7×18.6 km)
– massed start race elite women; the distance of 131.8 km
– massed start race U-23; the distance of 163.6 km
24.06.2012 (Sunday) :
– massed start race elite men; the distance of 245.9 km