14 March this year the start in Kaohsiung City began the Tour de Taiwan. 5 racers of the CCC Polsat Polkowice team take part in the race: Adrian Honkisz, Tomasz Kiendyś, Jarosław Rębiewski, Bartłomiej Matysiak and Tomasz Smoleń. They appear as Merida CCC Team.
The first stage from Kaohsiung City to Chukou took an unexpected course and the really hot weather and the high pace settled the result of the race. The temperature reaching 38 degrees Celsius with the high air humidity were the decisive factors. Moreover the cyclists imposed a high pace from the very beginning (average speed 46 km / h) and after passing 2 climbs the peleton split into several groups . Only those who were able to survive the heat withstood. A cyclist of the national representation of Holland suffered a sunstroke and some competitors dropped out of the peleton stopping at the roadside. For Merida CCC Team cyclists the race did not start too well. The highest classified racer of the team was Tomasz Smoleń, taking the 16th place, 57 adrift.
The winner of the stage was an Irishman David McCann from Giant Asia Racing Team, who crossed the finish line alone, holding a 7-second lead on the Australian William Clarke from Genesys Wealth Advisers and the American Philip Gaimon from Kenda presented by Geargrinder.
Stage 1: Kaohsiung City – Chukou, 134 km
1. David McCann (Irl) Giant Asia Racing Team 3:11:40
2. William Clarke (Aus) Genesys Wealth Advisers 0:07
3. Philip Gaimon (USA) Kenda presented by Geargrinder
16. Tomasz Smoleń (Pol) CCC Polsat Polkowice 0:57
32. Jarosław Rębiewski (Pol) CCC Polsat Polkowice 3:17
60. Adrian Honkisz (Pol) CCC Polsat Polkowice 6:31
62. Bartłomiej Matysiak (Pol) CCC Polsat Polkowice
63. Tomasz Kiendyś (Pol) CCC Polsat Polkowice