The race around Turkey started very well for the riders of CCC Polsat Polkowice. During the first stage, from Kusadasi to Turgutreis, 181 km long, Tomasz Marczyński, was quite much noticeable, and Krzysztof Jeżowski in the leading group crossed the finish line as ninth.
– This stage was to be flat, which it was not at all. If we raced in Poland that stretch would perhaps be considered a mountain one. For me as a sprint cyclist it was much exacting, and it was practically all the time up and down the hill, not much of flat stretches – said – as they call him – “Jeżu”.
In the finish Jeżowski was helped, among others, by Dariusz Batek and Bartłomiej Matysiak, who shielded our sprint cyclist from the wind – A lot of respect is due to boys from the team. In the finish they did their best and helped me to get ahead. Protected me from the gust of wind. They led me to a really good position, which finally gave its fruit – he said.
– It is obvious that I can’t compare myself with those best sprint cyclists. I may be good in Poland, but here the level of competition is totally different. Those best sprint cyclist find it much easier to get over such hills as we had in today’s stage. The leading ten in company of such racers is a very good result. I am satisfied of it – he concluded.
Results of stage 1 Kusadasi – Turgutreis, distance 181 km
1. André Greipel (Ger) Team HTC – Columbia 4:40:33
2. Angelo Furlan (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
3. Claudio Cucinotta (Ita) De Rosa – Stac Plastik
9. Krzysztof Jeżowski
31. Adam Sznitko
33. Tomasz Kiendyś
39. Tomasz Marczyński
45. Adrian Honkisz
56. Dariusz Batek
83. Łukasz Bodnar
85. Bartłomiej Matysiak 0:0:26