In his first race of 2015 season Davide Rebellin proved that he is still one of the best riders on the short and steep climbs. He finished 13th in the Trofeo Andratx-Mirador d’Es Colomer. Sylwester Szmyd also made the Top20 and took 16th. Stephen Cummings (MTN – Qhubeka) claimed the win.
–It was very high-pace race. I can be satisfied with me performance, especially if I take into consideration that it was my first event of the year. I’m still lacking some acceleration and racing days but it’s just the beginning of the season and there is still plenty of time – Davide Rebellin said.
– As a team we rode a good race. We tried to stay in the front, out of trouble. For everyone it was a good test of form, solid training and a good opportunity to improve condition before next races – he added.
After the lively start the 10-man group was formed with no CCC Sprandi Polkowice riders in it. Andre Greipel was the biggest name in the breakaway but due to hilly course his and his compatriots’ chances to reach the line ahead of the peleton were very small. Despite gaining almost 7 minute lead.
The riders climbed the highest mountain in Mallorca – Puig Major and this is where Dylan Van Baarlee (Team Cannondale – Garmin), Johann Van Zyl (MTN – Qhubeka) and Jose Gonçalves (Caja Rural – Seguros RGA) attacked from the leading group.
They were reeled with 2km to go. On the final climb Stephen Cummings (MTN – Qhubeka) attacked together with Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) and David Formolo (Team Cannondale – Garmin). The British rider turned out to be the strongest and took the win.
Davide Rebellin reached the top 22 seconds after the winner in 13th place. Sylwester Szmyd arrived to the finish 12 seconds later in 16th.
Results of Trofeo Andratx-Mirador d’Es Colomer
- Stephen Cummings (MTN-Qhubeka)
- Alejandro Valverde (Movistar)
- Davide Formolo (Cannondale-Garmin)
13. Davide Rebellin (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 0.22
16. Sylwester Szmyd (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 0.34
51. Adrian Honkisz (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 8:22
65. Stefan Schumacher (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 9:24
90. Łukasz Owsian (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 13:41
96. Branislau Samoilau (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
112. Marek Rutkiewicz (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 17:14
125. Mateusz Taciak (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)