Maciej Paterski finished stage 5 of Volta Ciclista a Catalunya in the 47th place stage. Alejandro Valverde claimed the win, while Richie Porte took the race lead.
First 80km of the stage were going downhill so it was a great opportunity for one of the best descenders in the professional peloton, Marek Rutkiewicz to jump away early on. He got into a 12-man group, gained 20 seconds of advantage, but the gap was quickly closed but the bunch. This attempt was followed by another move, made by 3 riders – Jan Polanc (Lampre Merida), Calvin Watson (Trek) and Yohan Bagot (Cofidis). This time they got bigger lead, over 5 minutes.
They got caught with 45 km from the finish, when strong crosswind began to blow and echelons were being formed. Some of the favorites managed to stay in the first group – Alberto Contador, Alejandro Valverde, Richie Porte, Fabio Aru, Rigoberto Uran where among them. There were no CCC Sprandi Polkowice riders in the front. Maciej Paterski was riding in the big peloton, with Daniel Martin and the race leader, Bart De Clercq.
Alejandro Valverde launched a solo attack in the final kilometers and took the win. 5 seconds after him Rigoberto Uran and Paolo Tiralonog completed the race in 2nd and 3rd place respectively. Paterski finished 2:53 back, in 47th place.
Results of stage 5 of Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, Alp – Valls 197.0 km
1. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar)
2. Rigoberto Uran (Etixx-Quick Step) 0:05
3. Paolo Tiralongo (Astana)
47. Maciej Paterski (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 2:53
109. Marek Rutkiewicz (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) 13:33
113. Adrian Honkisz (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
117. Josef Cerny (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
120. Branislau Samoilau (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
134. Sylwester Szmyd (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
137. Stefan Schumacher (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)
161. Jan Hirt (CCC Sprandi Polkowice)